Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mary

Our Sunday School lesson today was about God's promises and the Christmas Story. God promised a Savior would be born of a virgin. And He kept that promise... Today we talked a lot about Mary and as a mother myself, I can't imagine what Mary thought after she was visited by the angel that told her she was pregnant.
I'm a virgin, HOW am I pregnant!?!
Will Joseph understand?
Am I adequate for this job?
I'm scared.
Society will reject me.
Will Joseph be rejected too?
Am I really pregnant (you don't really "feel" pregnant for a few months)?

I also think about Mary when I start feeling sorry for myself. Mary's story puts it all into perspective. If I start feeling wronged or life just isn't going right for me, I think of Mary and her story. Mary was faithful, humble, a woman of God. She was engaged to be married, which was a big deal at the time and required a divorce! She was a virgin but pregnant with God's Son. Do you think Mary grumbled about life not being fair? I don't think so. Don't you think there were skeptics? Absolutely! Joseph could have made a fool out of her; could have had her stoned. But he didn't He loved her, He loved God and was a faithful and righteous man. God took care of Mary and Joseph. The night Jesus was born, there weren't even any beds available for Mary. She labored in a barn! With animals around! Talk about "unfair"! Mary did everything right and STILL had faith that God was with her. She was doing what God asked her to do and serving Him with such faithfulness.

So do I have the right to think my life is "unfair". Nope.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read the book "Two from Galilee" It's a love story about Mary and Joseph. A short read, which is good for me since I don't enjoy reading much. Thanks for the post. -Amber (Chapman)

    ReplyDelete