Thursday, July 8, 2010

It was not meant for me to be an herb farmer...

I've planted herbs before but this was the first year that I planted herbs AND they were fruitful! See how beautiful this basil plant is...was! My dad and Jeremiah picked this lovely plant up for me on one of there outings. After watching it grow and multiply for a few weeks I did what any normal culinary savvy person would do - I put pine nuts on the grocery list and pesto on the menu! Apparently the Japanese Beetles put basil on their menu too as they didn't touch any of the other herbs growing on the deck. Check out the pesky little critters feasting on MY Basil!!! :-( While the Japanese Beetles did not eat the dill these pretty little caterpillars did! Look real closely and you can see 4 or 5 of the green and black striped thieves.

While both plants were completely devoured I am starting to see some life come back to the basil but the dill has been reduced to bare sticks. I'm glad SOMEONE enjoyed the herbs...

No comments:

Post a Comment